1. Do you know of every discount that your insurance provider offers?
Your agent could, by commission or omission, not tell you about some discounts that you are eligible for. You will reduce the probability of this happening to you if you take the pains to ask your agent seriously to tell you about every discount that is obtainable. Do not be shocked if you hear of some that you’ve never heard of.
2. Lines of duty that are considered hazardous attract more expensive health insurance quotes. You’ll get lower health insurance rates if you quit a hazardous line of duty for a safe one. Due to the fact that a salesperson in a bookshop is not exposed to any health risks like a nuclear plant worker, he or she would attract more affordable health insurance rates.
3. What you’re willing to contribute to payments for each time you see the doctor has a bearing on your health insurance premium. This is your co-pay. Raising your co-pay brings down your health insurance costs. You’re particularly encouraged to choose a high co-pay if you go to the doctor just once in a very long period.
4. Group plans are less expensive than individual plans. Therefore take advantage of it if you are in a position to use one.. This should be of special interest to older persons, smokers or overweight persons who generally get high quotes.
This is also applicable to people who have pre-existing medical conditions that get very costly rates. Therefore, using a group health insurance plan is an easy to get adequate health insurance coverage cheap.
5. Staying loyal to one insurance company for any considerable length of time will almost always result in savings. You will attract discounts of up to 5% on your health insurance if you maintain a policy with the same insurance company for up to 3 years. A longer stay will get you more discounts.
This notwithstanding, you may be better off if you switch.
6. You can get large discounts if you get your health insurance policy from the same company that maintains your auto and home insurance. Insurance companies give you a multi-policy discount to encourage you to buy more policies from them.
That said, it may not serve your best interest to do this as you might be better off if you buy each of your policies from different insurers.
7. Smokers have health insurance rates that are twice or more that of non-smokers. It’s a well known fact that smokers are susceptible to many health conditions and that they don’t live long.
This increases their risk to an insurance company and therefore increases their rates by a huge margin. Once you stop smoking for about 12 months tell your current insurer or reapply to some other insurer and you will see a remarkable reduction in your health insurance rates.
8. Overweight people get a lot more in health insurance rates than those with normal weights. An insured’s Body Mass Index (BMI) is a strong factor that determines what you pay as health insurance rate.
A high BMI will always get an expensive health insurance rate all other things being equal. If your BMI rating is high it simply means that your weight is too much for your height. Now don’t wait until when you can lose 30 pounds since shedding as little as five pounds can reduce your Body Mass Index rating which leads to cheaper health insurance rates.
9. Visit good insurance quotes sites and request for quotes. From the quotes returned, pick the one that offers you the best price to value ratio. There are over 2,000 insurance companies in the US and they all offer different rates for comparable coverage. Shopping with many quotes sites help you get low offers. This means more savings for you.