– Crushed pineapple in juice: 1 (15 1/4-ounce) can (undrained)
– Butter or margarine: 1 to 1/2 cups
– Sugar: 3 cups
– Eggs: 5 (large)
– Lemon-lime soft drink: 1/2 cup
– Sifted cake flour: 3 cups
– Lemon extract: 1 teaspoon
– Vanilla extract: 1 teaspoon
– Sugar: 2 cups
– Cornstarch: ¼ cup
– Reserved drained crushed pineapple: 1 cup
– Water: 1 cup
#Cream Cheese Frosting
– Frozen flaked coconut: 1 (6-ounce) package (thawed)
– Fresh mint sprig for garnishing
HOW TO MAKE IT :
1. In the beginning, grease bottom and sides of 3 (9-inch) round cakepans and line bottoms with wax paper, then grease and flour wax paper.
2. Afterwards, you’ll want to drain pineapple, reserving 3/4 cup juice. Always remember to remove 1/4 cup of reserved juice for Cream Cheese Frosting, and reserve crushed pineapple for Pineapple Filling.
3. Then beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Next, gradually add sugar, beating well and add eggs, 1 at a time, after each addition beating until blended.
4. Alright now, make sure to combine 1/2 cup of reserved pineapple juice and soft drink together. And please add flour to butter mixture alternately with juice mixture, beginning and ending with flour. At low speed, beat until blended after each addition. When blended, you should stir in extracts and pour into prepared cakepans.
5. Okay, you’re going to bake 25 to 30 minutes at 350°, until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Now that you’re done, remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
6. Next, 3/4 cup Pineapple Filling should be spread between cake layers and remaining filling on top of cake. Cream Cheese Frosting should be Spread on sides of cake. It’s waise to pipe border around top. You may want to sprinkle with coconut, garnish, if desired.
7. Finally, you may use 7-Up for lemon-lime soft drink. Yep, the layers rise beautifully due to the level of carbonation in it.